Applications are now open for the Kenneth Armitage Sculpture Fellowship
A salaried two-year Sculpture Fellowship is offered by Leeds Arts University and the Kenneth Armitage Foundation, supported by the Henry Moore Foundation.
The two-year Fellowship starts in September and is based within the University for the duration. The Kenneth Armitage Sculpture Fellowship, Leeds, is a new partnership initiative of Leeds Arts University and Kenneth Armitage Foundation, in association with the Henry Moore Foundation. The Fellowship celebrates the significant contribution made by Kenneth Armitage (1916-2002), who was born in Leeds and is an alumnus of Leeds Arts University, to the evolution of British sculpture.
Leeds Arts University will provide studio space, access to university resources and a research and production budget, for the tenure of the Fellowship. Accommodation costs will be met by the Fellow. This new opportunity allows a sculptor concentrated time to develop practice-based research, drawing on the exceptional expertise and resources available in Leeds and in Yorkshire, including Leeds Arts University, the Henry Moore Institute, the Leeds City Art Gallery, the Hepworth and the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, Wakefield. The sculptor will have no formal teaching responsibilities, but will engage with the cultural life and creative communities of the university and the region.
The application process is now open and applicants should be available to start in September 2021. Closing date for applications is Sunday 13th June. Interviews will take place on week of 28th June. The application pack can be found here.
The Kenneth Armitage Foundation is the charitable legacy of Kenneth Armitage, one of the first young, post-war British sculptors to receive international acclaim. Currently, the Foundation supports sculptural practice through the The Kenneth Armitage Sculpture Fellowship, London and by awarding prizes to graduates from the art schools with which he was associated.
Kenneth Armitage studied at Leeds College of Art (now Leeds Arts University) from 1934-1937.