Every Friday we host a wide selection of local and…
Day Dreaming with Unkle presents... The Road: Leeds Dock
24 Jun 2017 & 25 Jun 2017
In anticipation of the forthcoming UNKLE album ‘THE ROAD: PART 1’ James Lavelle will be creating a unique and interactive exhibition at Leed Dock exploring the cultural impact of the 25 year career of the celebrated multi-media band and entity UNKLE.
UNKLE is the creative platform of James Lavelle, one of Britain’s most influential artists. His extraordinary career spans music, fashion, art, moving image, digital art, brand, marketing, merchandise and events.
He played his first DJ set at 14, launched pioneering record label Mo’Wax at 18 and released the genre defining UNKLE album Psyence Fiction at 22.
'JAMES IS ONE OF THE TRUE CULTURAL PROVOCATEURS WHO HAS CONSISTENTLY BEEN AT THE CUTTING EDGE OF CULTURE'
Jefferson Hack, Dazed & Confused
Inspired by the desire to marry music and the visual arts, 'DAYDREAMING WITH...' is an art exhibition series, which aims to create a unique and multi-sensory experience, unprecedented by museum exhibitions or music festivals.
JAMES LAVELLE, Mo’Wax and UNKLE founder, artist and DJ, assumes the role of curator for each 'Daydreaming with…' project.
“UNKLE has always been a multi-sensory creative project, ranging from genre-defining music to cutting-edge visual art. It therefore feels incredibly fitting to celebrate UNKLE’s past, present and future in Leeds, with an immersive show at the cultural hub of Leeds Dock.
The exhibition is a collaboration between a number of very talented artists, presenting everything from paintings, videos, artefacts and film screenings; this is the definitive UNKLE experience. I look forward to welcoming visitors to daydream with us.”
Saturday – Sunday 24th – 25th June 2017
Dock Works at Leeds Dock – 10am – 18:00.
The exhibition will feature:
- Classic pieces from the Mo’ Wax and UNKLE archives: Music releases, art, fashion and toy collaborations.
- Ground-breaking UNKLE music videos from the likes of Spike Jonze and Jonathan Glazer.
- A new Virtual Reality installation captured from ‘Daydreaming With…Stanley Kubrick’
- A unique opportunity to ‘step inside’ Doug Foster’s mesmerising new installation to experience art at its most immersive and witness four tracks from ‘The Road: Part 1
- A pop-up store featuring UNKLE artefacts, merchandise, records and toys.
- An exclusive opportunity to experience songs and videos from the forthcoming UNKLE album.
Sunday 25th June 2017
- In conversation with James Lavelle, a live Q&A on his work and cultural milestones. 4pm – 5pm at the exhibition space, Dock Works. FREE
- James Lavelle DJ set- Waterfront Festival Stage at Leeds dock – 5:30pm – 7pm
Please check times with event organiser for any last minute changes.
The Leeds Inspired website lists thousands of events happening in Leeds every year. You’ll find gigs, exhibitions, dance,…
Leeds Inspired manages two grant schemes to support arts events and projects in Leeds. Since April 2012 we…
Leeds Inspired grants have supported hundreds of projects, read about some of them here...